The New Media Firm – Director of Finance
- Washington, DC
- Full Time
The New Media Firm (TNMF) is one of the country’s leading progressive media firms, working with candidates and organizations to connect with voters in the ever-changing media landscape, from television to digital. A pioneer of narrative messaging, TNMF uses the power of media to persuade, touch hearts, change minds and motivate action.
Founded in 2007 by Will Robinson and Tierney Hunt, TNMF is a full-service media consulting firm which centers its work in the creative approach they bring to telling stories and developing a narrative for clients, as well as the cutting-edge tactics used to deliver that message.
TNMF has received over 50 awards for creative work and played a key role in hundreds of competitive races across the country, helping to elect Governors, members of the U.S. House and other statewide offices.
TNMF’s clients have included Planned Parenthood Action Fund, EMILY’s List, Progress Now and affiliates, NARAL Pro-Choice America, Sierra Club, and the National Education Association and affiliates.
TNMF has also been a leading media firm on ballot campaigns for public health measures, minimum wage, and education funding. In 2018 and 2020, TNMF led independent expenditure campaigns that resulted in flipping Republican-held state legislative bodies and winning U.S. House seats throughout the country.
a Director of Finance to oversee the firm’s financial operations, ensure compliance with financial and accounting policies and to perform daily financial processes. The Director will be responsible for key operational areas including accounting, reporting and analysis.
The Director will thrive in a fast-paced environment, understanding the pace and flow of client needs, be adept at handling thousands of transactions and be able to successfully work with clients and teams across multiple states and time zones under tight timelines.
Reporting to the firm’s founders, the Director will be a trusted partner with a thorough understanding of, respect for and adherence to professional and financial ethics.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced financial professional with unquestionable character, outstanding accounting and financial stewardship skills and a commitment to progressive values to work at one of the country’s leading progressive media firms.
- Oversee and perform day-to-day financial/accounting operations and general business operations.
- Monitor developments and ensure compliance with internal financial and accounting policies and procedures.
- Maintain accounting systems for cash management, accounts payable, accounts receivable and other balance sheet accounts.
- Prepare invoices, including all elements of media buys, production and fees.
- Monitor and manage bank accounts including deposits and wires.
- Coordinate with and support the Assistant Director of Finance.
- Monitor, manage and process credit card transactions on staff credit cards.
- Assemble documents for tax preparers; file and pay all taxes.
- Prepare payroll to send to payroll processor; file payroll reports and taxes with appropriate agencies and states.
- Manage and support the Assistant Director of Finance.
- Complete end of year payroll tax filings, including preparing 1099s for vendors.
- File and store all financial and business documents relating to company operations and client activity including corporate documents, tax documents, vendor contracts, client contracts, client/project invoices and payable items.
- Manage staff on-boarding and maintain employee records including payroll items, tracking and recording of paid time off and processing of benefits.
- Manage and monitor contracts including vendors, supplies, workers’ compensation and business insurance, employee health insurance plans, SEP-IRA plan.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field with at least 5 years’ experience.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with shifting and competing priorities.
- Keen eye for detail and the ability to quickly assess needs and solve problems.
- Ability to work collaboratively and autonomously as needed with strong analytic, problem solving, critical thinking and research skills.
- Ability to analyze and organize financial data and make accurate computations.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Self-directed with the ability to manage multiple priorities and complete transactions within established time frames.
- High degree of computer literacy and strong skills in spreadsheet-based financial analysis, including QuickBooks Desktop and Microsoft Excel.
- Extreme honesty and discretion with the ability to appropriately handle confidential information.
- Collaborative approach with an all-hands-on-deck attitude.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work with a variety of stakeholders.
- Deep commitment to racial and social justice and progressive candidates and causes.
Location, Salary, Benefits and Vaccine Requirement
This position is located in Washington, DC. The New Media Firm employees are currently working in the office.
All employees must have received the COVID-19 vaccination and boosters. Proof of vaccine required.
Salary in competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits include:
- 100% company-paid healthcare, vision & dental.
- Generous holiday, vacation & sick leave policies.
- Pre-tax commuter benefits.
- Company paid SEP IRA contributions.
- Training and professional development.
To apply for this position, submit a cover letter and resume online at https://grossmansolutions.applytojob.com. The cover letter should be concise and compelling and outline the specific ways in which you would be a good fit for this position. Only applications submitted through this website will be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
The New Media Firm is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. The New Media Firm does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under local, state or federal law.