America Votes works with over 400 state and national partner organizations to advance progressive policies, win elections and protect every American’s right to vote.
Since 2003, America Votes has been the common link between many of the largest and most influential issue and membership organizations in the country, serving as the coordination hub of the progressive community. America Votes’ work has brought together a wide range of causes and built a unified coalition that has transformed how the progressive community works. Together, they have engaged communities across the country to act on critical issues – from fighting for working families, to advancing women’s healthcare, to protecting the environment, and more – and mobilized millions of voters to turn out on Election Day.
America Votes works year-round nationally and in more than 20 states, acting as a permanent campaign to continually advance progressive causes, modernize elections and win elections. America Votes provides a range of services to partners, including strategic planning, advocacy and electoral campaign coordination, data tools and targeting services, and on-the-ground leadership in states.
America Votes also works to improve election systems and fight back against efforts to suppress voters, taking the lead throughout their state network to coordinate and execute advocacy campaigns with allies to reform elections and modernize the voting process.
America Votes is committed to developing long-term roadmaps and setting critical goals for states in 2021. With an eye on redistricting and the consequences of extreme conservative gerrymanders, these efforts are essential to building progressive power in the states, session-by-session and election-by-election.
America Votes and their partner organizations are at the heart of the progressive movement’s effort to advance policies and win elections. In 2020, the America Votes coalition deployed their largest-ever voter engagement and mobilization effort to millions of voters. In 2021-2022, the coalition will be on the ground educating and mobilizing voters.
Commitment to Racial Equity
America Votes is committed to advancing racial equity through organizational systems and policies that are consistently tested, evaluated and updated. Some organizational priorities include:
- Building reflective and equitable state and national networks and partnerships.
- Increasing engagement of state-based groups building power in communities of color in the planning process.
- Expanding the Community Power Builders program, designed to support organizations led by and working in communities of color as they emerge into the 501(c)(4) space.
America Votes is seeking a talented leader to serve as Chief Operating Officer, helping guide the organization at a critical time of growth and opportunity.
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) is responsible for providing leadership, management, planning and enhancement of America Votes’ internal organizational systems, processes and infrastructure to help America Votes achieve its ambitious goals in 2022 and beyond.
America Votes’ program and staff has grown significantly in the last three years; the COO will build, grow and manage the administrative functions in order to sustain the organizational growth.
Reporting to the Executive Director and serving as a member of the Senior Leadership Team, the COO will lead the strategy and daily management of the human resources, operations, finance and compliance functions. The COO will also be a crucial steward of the organization’s culture and values, working to center racial equity across internal systems, policies, and processes.
The ideal candidate will have experience growing teams, attracting and retaining diverse talent, and bring financial acumen and budget expertise. The COO should be a collaborative, decisive leader who can quickly assess needs and solve problems in a fast-paced environment.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a leader with strong operational and people management skills, a commitment to advancing racial equity and a proven track record of growing and implementing systems and processes to serve in the leadership at a high-impact organization.
- Lead and manage the organization's human resources, operations, finance, and compliance functions
- Partner with the leadership and staff to foster and cultivate a culture that promotes the organization’s values and reflects its deep commitment to racial equity and justice
- Grow the vision and accountability of the organization’s human resources functions
- Optimize America Votes’ finance and accounting policies, financial controls, and compliance systems; implement policies and procedures that model best practices in each of these areas
- Upgrade human resources operations including hiring, training, development, employee relations, and performance evaluation
- Lead initiatives in organizational management, performance management, and leadership development
- Evaluate, improve, and play a key role in the organization’s budgeting process
- Refine and maintain internal communications systems to ensure that staff have the information they need
- Plan yearly staff retreats to ensure coordination and alignment towards goals
- Manage a portfolio of key special projects
- Additional duties as assigned
Qualifications, Skills and Attributes
Candidates should have a passion for the internal workings of organizational management and developing efficient, effective systems and processes that help staff succeed in their jobs. Candidates should embrace the responsibility of owning projects from start to finish and thrive when handed a challenge and developing and executing a solution. Candidates should be highly organized, detail-oriented and adept at handling multiple projects simultaneously in a high-volume, fast-paced environment.
- Minimum of 10 years of related, progressively responsible work experience including organizational-level leadership as a COO or similar role in advocacy, campaigning or electoral context
- Deep understanding of and commitment to racial equity and implementation of equitable practices and culture
- Experience overseeing all aspects of human resources operations
- Track record of overseeing organizational financial activity and systems, including budgeting, forecasting, modeling, accounting, and reporting
- Skilled in navigating complex compliance and risk management issues
- Excellent judgment, flexibility and emotional intelligence
- Strong people and project management experience
- Experience building, growing and managing teams
- Collaborative leadership style with an all-hands-on-deck attitude
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Superb interpersonal skills with the ability to work with a variety of stakeholders
- Experience working with unionized staff and collective bargaining agreements is a plus
- Spirit of service and a sense of humor preferred
There is no education requirement for this position. Candidates from a range of educational and professional backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Compensation, Structure and Location
Salary is commensurate with experience, $155,000-$165,000. Benefits for this position include health, dental and vision insurance, paid vacation, paid sick days, and parental leave, as well as 401(K) after six months of continuous service with the organization.
This management position reports to the Executive Director and is not union eligible.
This position is located in Washington, DC. America Votes is currently working remotely.
Submit a cover letter and resume online at: https://grossmansolutions.applytojob.com. The cover letter should be concise, compelling and outline why you are the right person for this position. Only applications submitted through this website will be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
America Votes sees its commitment to racial equity as an integral part of its success. Applicants are encouraged to reflect on how they see themselves contributing to America Votes’ work on advancing racial equity.
America Votes is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. America Votes does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under local, state or federal law. People of color, LGBTQ candidates, individuals with disabilities, and neurodivergent individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.