Service Employes International Union (SEIU) - Director, BOLD Center
We are the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), a union of about 2 million diverse members in healthcare, the public sector, and property services. We believe in and fight for our Vision for a Just Society: where all workers are valued and all people respected—no matter where we come from or what color we are; where all families and communities can thrive; and where we leave a better and more equitable world for generations to come. We are an anti-racist union determined to check corporate power and uproot structural racism through unions—worker power and collective action—and government—legislative and political action. We fight for Unions for All and a Government that Works for All so that all of us, across race and place, can have power together in unions and participate fully in our democracy.
Prioritization of Anti-Racist Organization Work
At our 2016 Convention, SEIU member delegates passed a resolution proclaiming that in order to win economic justice, we must win racial justice. Core elements of SEIU’s racial justice work include the prioritization of addressing anti-Black and structural racism and a commitment for the organization to work to become an Anti-Racist Organization (ARO).
SEIU is seeking a strategic, thoughtful and experienced leader to serve as the Director of the SEIU BOLD Center. This is an incredible opportunity for a visionary professional to advance and support leadership development across the union, with a focus on local unions.
This position is responsible for directing the programs of the SEIU BOLD Center which are dedicated to building visionary, strategic, inclusive, and equitable leaders, and a powerful and agile organization to realize the vision and strategies of SEIU.
- Work with a team of high-level consultants to develop and drive leadership development and strategic planning processes for local unions.
- Grow, support, and evaluate a large, diverse group of consultants committed to advancing SEIU’s work.
- Supervise, mentor and support a staff of six BOLD Center team members.
- Support local union leaders in developing strategic plans and leadership development programs.
- Work closely with the Racial Justice Center and Human Resources Department to design, coordinate, and deliver high-level union-wide change interventions that support the Union becoming an anti-racist organization.
- Represent the BOLD Center with SEIU leadership, serving as a member of the Senior Leadership Team.
- Oversee the development and management of the SEIU BOLD Center’s plan, operations and budget.
Key Qualifications, Skills and Attributes
All candidates should possess a passion for developing leaders and growing union power, curiosity, excellent judgment, compassion, strong emotional intelligence and a collaborative leadership style. Candidates should be adept at navigating ambiguity, devising creative solutions even when a clear path is not evident and able to handle multiple projects with multiple stakeholders in a high-volume, fast-paced environment.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of experience demonstrating progressively greater responsibility, preferably in the field of organizational development and leadership in a labor union, political, nonprofit, or issue-driven environment.
- Ability to develop and implement leadership development programs.
- Knowledge of unions and local union structures, systems and culture.
- A proven track record of supervising, directing and mentoring staff, including management level staff.
- Experience with anti-racist organizational change and organizational equity and inclusion practices, including leading Racial Justice initiatives (not just DEI), and leading from one’s own racial and other salient identities.
- Experience supporting teams, leaders and staff across racial and other intersectional identities.
- Demonstrated ability to operate in politically sensitive situations, to exercise good judgment and think critically.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Degree from an accredited four-year college or university or experience equivalent. Graduate level accreditation in organizational development or equivalent experience is a plus.
Direction and Decision Making
This position reports to the Deputy Chief of Staff. The SEIU BOLD Center Director will work closely with the Innovation and Learning Center Director and the SEIU Racial Justice Center to set direction of the work in the union and develop programs that advance SEIU’s mission.
Work is generally performed in an office setting, but the job may require work in the field or in other settings to perform the tasks required to complete assignments. Must be available for frequent travel with overnight stays. Travel and work beyond traditional business hours is required.
SEIU International Officers; SEIU International Executive Board Committees; SEIU BOLD Center consultants; SEIU local leaders and staff; SEIU Division/Department leaders; IU staff; vendors.
Salary, benefits and location
This position is located in Washington, DC.
The salary range for this position is $145,146- $176,591.
SEIU staff enjoy comprehensive health benefits (major medical, dental and vision) for themselves and eligible dependents, domestic partner benefits, generous holiday and vacation leave along with 401(K) and pension plans.
Submit a resume and a cover letter at https://grossmansolutions.applytojob.com/apply. The cover letter should be concise, compelling, and tells us about your interest in our work and what you would bring to the role. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.