Organization and Opportunity Overview
Climate Power is seeking a strategic and innovative Managing Director, Communications to lead the organization’s communications strategy to build the political will and public support for bold climate action.
The Managing Director will work closely with the Executive Director and senior leadership team to set campaign priorities and drive a narrative to win the politics of climate nationally and in key states. The Managing Director will create, manage and execute communications strategies to convey the importance of climate and clean energy investments, sell the benefits of climate action in key communities and block efforts to dismantle climate progress.
Climate Power is an independent strategic communications and paid media operation integrating hard-hitting research, polling, state and national earned media, digital and paid media to influence the national conversation, embolden leaders to take immediate, bold climate action, and expose climate deniers and their oil and gas lobby allies.
Climate Power is elevating the reality of climate change by sharing the realities of this crisis — the stories from across our country of Americans fighting for clean air, good-paying jobs to provide for their families, and a more just, equitable future. We’re working with elected officials from across the country, at all levels of government, to advocate for the solutions that will help them tackle climate change and protect their communities. And we’re fighting back against anti-science lobbyists and their corrupt fossil-fuel backers who are doing everything they can to stop climate progress dead in its tracks.
Founded by the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club, Climate Power integrates hard-hitting research, polling, earned media, digital and paid media to influence the national conversation, embolden leaders to take immediate, bold climate action, and expose climate deniers and their oil and gas lobby allies.
Over the past three years, Climate Power has grown to include a powerful Advisory Board, an impressive Creative Council Advisory Committee and a passionate staff of over 40 located across the country.
- Drive ambitious communications strategies: Create, manage and execute communications strategies towin the politics of climate nationally and in key states. Oversee frequent and consistent outreach to political and environmental reporters and columnists and develop and place opinion pieces.
- Integrate communications approach across Climate Power: Work closely across the organization to ensure a strategic communications lens is integrated into all campaigns and efforts.
- Manage a team of staff and consultants: Manage Climate Power communications team of six, as well as outside state and national consultants, and direct day-to-day operations and strategy.
- Build a nimble press operation: Identify rapid response opportunities and prioritize response to developing news stories with influential climate and political reporters. Manage coordination with paid media team to amplify paid communication in earned media to ensure it reaches the broader public.
- Develop and coordinate messaging: Collaborate with Executive Director and senior leadership to develop messaging for use by Climate Power’s Advisory Board, surrogates, partners, and allies across the climate movement.
- Research-driven communications: Coordinate with Climate Power’s research team to integrate key facts, and other research into messaging and communications materials.
- Act as spokesperson: Serve as spokesperson for Climate Power, as needed, and develop other campaign voices for Climate Power.
- Manage, engage and grow Climate Power’s surrogate network: Manage a surrogates operation to engage diverse voices of environmental leaders, state policymakers, youth activists, and trusted voices from the private sector and within communities, for media opportunities and to tell the story of climate action.
- Collaborate with climate movement and other stakeholders: Build relationships with communications leaders of other organizations, campaigns, elected officials, coalitions, stakeholders, and other high-level partners, including celebrities.
- Evaluate results: Monitor and evaluate the impact of the communications team by establishing key metrics, analyzing results, and adjusting strategies as necessary.
- 10+ years of communications experience, including electoral and political campaign experience.
- Five years of experience leading high-performing teams with the ability to motivate others.
- Deep communications experience with a track record of success in the current media landscape.
- A strong instinct for powerful storytelling combined with strong editorial and ethical judgment.
- Superb interpersonal skills with media, colleagues, and stakeholders.
- Experience managing rapid-response and enterprise communications strategies.
- Highly organized with the capacity to work in a fast-paced campaign environment with unpredictable hours in high-pressure situations and under deadlines.
- Track record of effectively supervising a team to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Strong strategic and writing skills.
Compensation, Location and Benefits
The position can be located anywhere in the U.S.; the ability to work east coast hours daily is a requirement.
Salary range is $163,558 – $194,800 per year, based on experience.
We offer a comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental, vision insurance, 401(k) plan, student loan repayment assistance, and generous paid time off.
To apply for this position, submit a cover letter and resume online at https://grossmansolutions.applytojob.com/apply. The cover letter should be concise and compelling and outline the specific ways in which you would be a good fit for this position. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Climate Power is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, or sexual orientation.