Democracy Forward - Director of People, Culture, and Operations
About Democracy Forward
Democracy Forward uses the law to build collective power and advance a bold, vibrant democracy for all people.
Democracy Forward was founded five years ago, in the wake of the 2016 election, when it became clear the number and severity of threats to democracy, social progress, and the rule of law would be unprecedented.
We built an innovative legal team that took the Trump administration to court more than 100 times, successfully challenging bad actors and their unlawful policies, shutting down corrupt committees created for special interests, and exposing unfair, unreasonable policies that strip vulnerable communities of crucial protections. We secured victories that stopped abuses of power and improved the lives of millions. We filled critical gaps in the legal and regulatory infrastructure and developed a successful model for impact.
Today, we are at a pivotal point in American democracy. Across the country, extreme anti-democratic movements still seek to wield an outsized amount of political power. The Supreme Court has rolled back the rights of millions.
Our work challenging Trump-era policies prepared us for this moment and the long road ahead. We have built a dynamic and growing team of over 30 staff across the country. Our strategy for legal and regulatory engagement addresses immediate needs while seeding ground for a vibrant future–one where our democracy and government represents and works for all people.
Democracy Forward is seeking a talented leader to serve as Director of People, Culture, and Operations, helping guide the organization at a time of growth and opportunity.
The Director will help drive and execute the strategic vision of Democracy Forward and work with all teams on a wide range of strategic planning and internal initiatives. Partnering with the Chief of Staff, the Director will provide leadership, management, planning, and enhancement of internal organizational systems, processes, policies, and infrastructure.
The ideal candidate will have experience growing an organization, working with high-performing teams, attracting and retaining diverse talent, and improving processes and systems in a fast-paced environment.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a leader with strong operational and people management skills and a proven track record of problem-solving to join a high-impact, growing organization.
Organizational Culture and Values
- Facilitate a culture of belonging and inclusivity among staff and community
- Exhibit understanding, sensitivity, and responsiveness to employees and oversee the creation andimplementation of programs that build momentum for equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Engage employees to improve working relationships, build morale, and increase productivity and retention
- Maintain knowledge of industry trends and best practices in workplace development and change management
- Oversee all HR administration, including the organization’s benefits programs and payroll approval; manage relationships with benefit brokers and coordinate annual open enrollment
- Develop and implement strategies to identify and recruit legal and professional staff, including establishing relationships with law schools and undergraduate schools
- Oversee the recruitment and hiring process of new staff, ensuring strong, diverse pools of candidates and equitable hiring processes
- Further develop all aspects of onboarding and offboarding protocols, expectations, and procedures
- Oversee feedback and review process, documentation of performance issues, and performance improvement plans
- Oversee remote and physical office operations
- Supervise and support the Operations Manager
- Working with the President and Chief of Staff, advise and provide insights for keeping policies and proceduresup to date with best practices and compliant with all applicable laws and regulations
Employee Development and Relations
- Identify and support opportunities for employees’ professional development and growth
- Identify skills-based training, diversity and inclusion trainings, and other trainings as needed
- Oversee employee events, quarterly retreats, social events, and group activities
- Assess and advance employee engagement and satisfaction
- Develop, communicate, and administer human resource policies and procedures that maintain and improve employee relations and shape organizational culture
- Manage and help resolve complex employee relations issues
Qualifications, Skills, and Attributes
Candidates should have a passion for the internal workings of organizational management and developing efficient, effective systems and processes that help staff succeed in their jobs. Candidates should thrive when handed a challenge and developing and executing a solution. Candidates should be highly organized, detail-oriented, and adept at handling multiple projects simultaneously in a high-volume, fast-paced environment.
- Commitment to Democracy Forward’s mission
- 7+ years of progressively responsible work experience including Human Resources and/or Operations
- Demonstrated commitment to values-based leadership that fosters collaboration, inclusivity, and belonging
- Experience overseeing all aspects of human resources operations
- Strong people and project management experience
- Ability to deal with conflict effectively and to manage difficult situations confidently and calmly
- Excellent judgment, flexibility, and emotional intelligence
- Experience building, growing, and managing teams
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Superb interpersonal skills with the ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred (associates or other higher education experience considered)
Location, Salary, and Benefits
Preference for candidates in the Washington, DC area, but will consider applications outside of DC in some circumstances with understanding of travel obligations. Ability to occasionally work outside of normal business hours, particularly if located outside the eastern time zone.
Democracy Forward provides a competitive, lockstep, and transparent compensation and benefits package. The salary range for this position is $130,000 - $150,000 based on years of relevant experience and seniority.
Submit a resume and a cover letter at https://grossmansolutions.applytojob.com/apply. The cover letter should be concise, compelling, and tells us about your interest in our work and what you would bring to the role. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Democracy Forward is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals. We strongly encourage people of color; lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer, and intersex people; women; people with disabilities; and veterans to apply.
Meet some but not all of our qualifications? Don’t let that deter you from applying. If you believe that you could excel in our organization and believe in our mission, we hope you apply. We are dedicated to considering a broad array of candidates, including those with diverse workplace experiences and backgrounds. Whether you are new to non-profit or legal work, returning to work after a gap in employment, simply looking to transition, or taking the next step in your career path, we hope to hear from you.