American Promise – Chief Operating Officer
About American Promise
American Promise is committed to building a movement to empower, inspire and organize Americans to win passage of a federal constitutional amendment to allow Congress or the states to reasonably regulate and limit campaign contributions.
Our team is passionate, collaborative, courageous, adaptable, and fun. We love setting big goals and learning lessons on the way to achieving them. We celebrate our differences and work to ensure that our staff, donors, volunteers, and supporters reflect the tremendous diversity of the American people as we strive together on the most American of national projects: amending the US Constitution.
The For Our Freedom Amendment authorizes limits and regulation of money used to influence local, state, and/or federal elections. American Promise unites Americans in advocacy for the Amendment to combat systemic corruption and protect our voice, votes, communities, and future.
We empower people in all 50 states to connect, learn, act and lead efforts to mobilize their districts, states, and networks to ensure we pass this amendment. By working together—across party lines and city limits—we can make our belief a reality. We also lead and partner in specific state campaigns to advance our constitutional amendment: 22 states have taken formal action to support the amendment, with six winning state ballot initiatives among them.
American Promise seeks a talented leader to serve as Chief Operating Officer (COO), helping guide the organization at a critical time of growth and opportunity.
The COO will organize and oversee the business operations of American Promise, which comprises American Promise, Inc, a non-profit 501(c)4 organization, and American Promise Education Fund, a non-profit 501(c)3 organization.
The COO is responsible for providing leadership, management, planning and enhancement of our internal organizational systems, processes and infrastructure. The COO will ensure that our business operations are well-coordinated and productive and manage the administrative, financial, human resources, legal compliance, and information systems functions.
Reporting to the President, the COO will work closely with each departmental team to coordinate and integrate planning and operations to ensure the overall success of the organization and its mission.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a collaborative leader with strong operational skills, financial acumen and a proven track record of developing and implementing systems and processes to join the leadership team at a growing organization.
Key Position Responsibilities
- Ensure American Promise operates in good standing from administrative, legal compliance, regulatory, and financial perspectives
- Lead, manage, and supervise a high-functioning team of collaborative and supportive business administration and operations professionals
- Contribute to the overall strategic and operational planning of the organizations
- Lead and facilitate annual budget planning process
- Assess monthly financial information and adjust operational budgets as needed
- Provide accurate and timely financial reports and recommendations to the leadership team and boards of directors
- Manage the processes for hiring, training, evaluation and retention of staff
- Oversee annual financial audits and tax filings
- Oversee the acquisition, configuration, and maintenance of business systems (e.g., technological, application, platform, software, hardware)
- Develop, document and evaluate administrative policies and processes
- Oversee all aspects of employee engagement and satisfaction
- Review and approve all contracts and services and manage relationships/agreements with external partners/vendors
- Facilitate the planning and execution of the annual strategic and operational planning retreat
Candidates should have a passion for the internal workings of organizational management and developing efficient, effective systems and processes that help staff succeed in their jobs. Candidates should be highly organized, detail-oriented and adept at handling multiple projects simultaneously in a high-volume, fast-paced environment. Candidates should be trustworthy, collaborative and bring a sense of humor.
- A commitment to and excitement for the American Promise mission, goal, and values
- Experience as the lead point of contact in non-profit financial audits
- In-depth knowledge of diverse business functions and principles including accounting, human resources, information systems, and operations
- Experience managing budgets and financial projections
- Extreme honesty and discretion with the ability to appropriately handle confidential information
- Skill in navigating complex compliance and risk management issues
- Excellent judgment, flexibility and emotional intelligence
- Strong people and project management experience
- Experience building, growing and managing teams
- Superb communications and interpersonal skills
- Ability to demonstrate cultural competence and sensitivity, and a commitment to uniting people of widely different backgrounds and political views in pursuing a common goal
- Experience with Google Drive applications and Microsoft Office
It would also be great if candidates brought:
- Experience working at or managing 501c3/501c4 organizations that share resources
- Experience in developing and executing operational functions in both start-ups and established organizations
- Experience volunteering on issues advocacy campaigns
Location and Salary
This position is located in Concord, Massachusetts and works a hybrid schedule.
The salary range for this position starts at $120,000.
To apply for this position, submit a resume and cover letter online at https://grossmansolutions.applytojob.com. The cover letter should be concise and compelling and outline the specific ways in which you would be a good fit for this position. Only applications submitted through this website will be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
American Promise believes in the tapestry of humanity that is our nation. We strive to build a team that amplifies and celebrates the American experience. All applicants who believe in that same vision are welcome to apply.
American Promise does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under local, state or federal law.