Act Blue – Democratic Politics and Elections Director
ActBlue is a nonprofit that builds tech and infrastructure for Democratic campaigns, progressive-aligned causes, and people trying to make an impact in order to fuel long-term, people-powered change. If you’ve ever given online to a Democrat or progressive organization, chances are you’ve used our powerful online fundraising platform.
We put power in the hands of small-dollar donors and help thousands of groups — from presidential candidates to environmental organizations — build grassroots movements. We envision a democracy where everyone looking to make progressive, people-powered change can easily and effectively deploy their resources, energy, and creativity to shape our country and futures. Each and every one of us, from the political activists to the tech innovators to the customer service pros, is fully committed to our mission.
ActBlue is seeking a strategic leader and experienced manager to serve as the Democratic Politics and Elections (DPE) Team Director.
The Director will lead efforts to develop and build the organization’s political and electoral work in order to expand the use of ActBlue across the country and meet the unique opportunities of this moment within the progressive space.
The Director will manage 5 regional directors and lead an expanding department of over 40 staff across the country and collaborate with members of the leadership team to develop strategic goals and plans for the department.
The Director will bring deep experience with digital fundraising and programs, a background in electoral politics and the ability to build strong relationships with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced and thoughtful manager who loves developing talent, supporting staff and solving problems.
This position will report to the Vice President of Issue, Non-Profit, and Political Engagement and lead work collaboratively across ActBlue Departments.
- Direct a large-scale program aimed at relationship building in order to increase use of ActBlue and impact programs strategically in the political campaign space
- Lead the development of DPE program strategy and oversee implementation and iteration of the strategy
- Build, support and manage a complex team at various levels including ongoing professional development and skill-building
- Serve as the primary point of contact for political and electoral counterparts at national organizations, including Presidential campaigns
- Identify and drive opportunities to partner with other Democratic organizations to help reach ActBlue’s mission
- Work with leaders across departments to collaborate on ways to grow account management programs and develop staff skill sets.
- Serve as a lead generator for the team and a connector between staff and more established organizations
- Determine account management paths for campaigns, initiatives, and other Democratic electoral organizations, including owning a small portfolio of high-priority accounts
- Work in partnership with the Movement, Issue, Charitable Organizations (MICO) team to coordinate program resource needs, innovate work and streamline communications
- Serve as a spokesperson and trainer for ActBlue at high-visibility, high-level meetings, and events
- Work outside of regular business hours (i.e., 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.) as required. Travel as required.
WHAT YOU BRING
- At least 10 years of political and electoral experience
- At least 8 years of experience hiring, managing and supporting large teams with a passion for staff development and mentoring
- Experience developing, managing, benchmarking, and implementing electoral campaign programs and/or program plans at a large organizational level
- Experience working closely with fundraising and digital programs
- Strong knowledge of electoral politics and the campaign industry; relationships at the national level are a plus
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, intense environment
- Superb interpersonal skills, with an impressive history of forging strong relationships with high-level stakeholders
- Empathetic and collaborative leadership style
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Genuine commitment to being a team player and working across departmentally
- Public speaking experience in small and large rooms
LOCATION & COMPENSATION
This posting is for a full-time, remote, salaried position. ActBlue is currently authorized to support remote work employees in Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Washington D.C., and Wisconsin.
We offer a competitive salary and a generous compensation package, which includes the benefits listed below:
- Flexible work schedules and an unlimited time-off policy
- Fully paid and trans-inclusive health, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
- Automatic 2% 401K contribution, plus up to 6% match
- Three months of paid parental leave for all new parents, adoptions included; 4 weeks of a fully paid flexible work schedule; plus an additional one week of paid leave and an additional one week of flexible work schedule for every full year the employee has worked for ActBlue
- Commuter or home-office benefits, including a $1,000 home-office setup allowance for all new full-time remote employees
- Additional perks including quarterly snack deliveries and digital subscriptions to the Boston Globe & New York Times
ActBlue is unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Certain employees who report to this position may be covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
Women, people of color, LGBTQIA2S+ individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply. ActBlue is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against candidates on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status.
ActBlue is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the interview and employment process, including using our online system to apply for a position.
To apply for this position, submit a resume and cover letter online at https://grossmansolutions.applytojob.com. The cover letter should be concise and compelling and outline the specific ways in which you would be a good fit for this position. Only applications submitted through this website will be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.