America Votes - National Political Director
America Votes works with over 400 state and national partner organizations to advance progressive policies, win elections, and protect every American's right to vote.
Since 2003, America Votes has been the common link between many of the largest and most influential issue and membership organizations in the country, serving as the coordination hub of the progressive community. America Votes' work has brought together a wide range of causes and built a unified coalition that has transformed how the progressive community works. Together, they have engaged communities across the country to act on critical issues - from fighting for working families, to defending reproductive freedom, to protecting the environment, and more - and mobilized millions of voters to turn out on Election Day.
America Votes works year-round nationally and in more than 20 states, acting as permanent campaign infrastructure to continually advance progressive causes and win elections. America Votes provides a range of services to partners, including strategic planning, advocacy and electoral campaign coordination, data tools and targeting services, and on-the-ground leadership in states.
America Votes also works to improve election systems and fight back against efforts to suppress voters, taking the lead throughout their state network to coordinate and execute advocacy campaigns with allies to reform elections and modernize the voting process.
Racial Equity Statement
As a leader of collaborative efforts to mobilize voters, protect voting rights, and win elections, America Votes is committed to advancing racial equity within our organization and across our coalition. We acknowledge the systematic racism that permeates all facets of our society, beginning with the foundational right to vote. America Votes is also engaging with an understanding of the ways gender, sexuality, and other forms of oppression intersect with race and how those relationships impact inequities faced by our staff, our partners, and the communities that we engage in our work. America Votes strives to model our commitment to racial equity through our internal and external operations, programs, and partnerships. We acknowledge the inequitable structures that continue to exist and are moving forward with a sustained commitment in time, resources and people to challenge structural racism and work towards creating a reflective organization and democracy.
America Votes is seeking a dynamic, collaborative leader with a history of successfully executing issue and electoral campaign programs as well as deep experience building strong partnerships and coalitions to serve as National Political Director.
The Director plays a key leadership role in the progressive community, working collaboratively with partners to develop and drive America Votes' direct voter contact program strategy and coordination with 80+ national organizations.
The Director will identify coalition-wide priorities and opportunities and develop a strategy to coordinate national and state-based partners’ programs, building a seamless and unique connection between state and national efforts and ensuring programs and elections advance the shared long-term vision for progressive change.
The Director leads the development of America Votes’ cross-state strategies of national program priority. The director also works with executive leadership to determine the organization’s grants disbursement strategy.
The ideal candidate will have superb interpersonal skills with an impressive history of forging strong relationships with a variety of stakeholders, a passion for coalition work, and the ability to build trust with partner organizations.
This is an incredible opportunity for a proven electoral strategist and coalition builder to partner with the country’s leading progressive organizations to secure victories in 2024 and to serve as a member of the senior leadership team at one of the country’s most impactful electoral organizations.
- Develop and drive America Votes’ strategy for the ongoing engagement and program coordination with national partner organizations.
- Provide vision, inspire action, build rapport and trust with partners and stakeholders, and lead collaboration toward shared goals.
- Advise partners on voter contact plans and ensure they have the data, tools, and resources to implement their programs.
- Collaborate with America Votes’ State Network team on national partner plans within the organization’s state network.
- Provide guidance and leadership to a diverse, high-performing team, including at least 4-5 staff. Ensure all internal organizational processes are conducted effectively within the department, including working with the team to manage programs, conduct performance reviews, submit timesheets and expense reports on time, and more.
- Proactively coach and develop staff to achieve their goals and grow as leaders within the organization - providing constructive feedback and guidance as they work towards their goals, creating opportunities to learn from both successes and setbacks, and holding staff accountable when they fall short.
- Convene regular meetings with partner organizations to collaborate on electoral and long-term power building.
- Make recommendations to executive leadership on grant disbursements to organizations to build and sustain infrastructure for year-round voter engagement.
- Oversee the multi-state national programs including spread out the vote, campus organizing, and vote by mail.
- Serve as a member of America Votes’ Senior Leadership Team focused on collaboration among organizational leaders, across departments, and stewardship of the organization as a whole.
- Ensure a safe, welcoming, cohesive, and inspiring team culture for staff to excel in; Role model and uphold the organization’s values of creating an inclusive and equitable working environment for all members of the team.
- Represent America Votes at external convenings and serves as a thought leader and one of the organization’s most visible and respected representatives on issues important to the community.
- 10-15 years of campaign management experience, including electoral and issue advocacy.
- Relentlessly results oriented; at least 2-3 years of proven experience managing teams/departments to achieve ambitious goals.
- Ability to evaluate and execute winning campaign plans with a strong emphasis on direct voter contact programs, along with a solid understanding of data and targeting.
- Excellent political judgment and discretion; experience setting vision and strategy.
- Proven ability to thrive year-round in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, and to balance the demands of rapid response work with the sustained efforts needed to achieve longer-term planned strategies and goals.
- Strong relationships with national partner groups and a demonstrated ability in and passion for managing and leading coalitions with multi-issue agendas.
- Superb interpersonal skills with the ability to negotiate, build consensus, resolve conflicts, and strategically disagree when necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize the strengths of others; to coach, manage, and develop them as professionals; and to exemplify a people-management style that is results-oriented, inclusive, collaborative, and respectful.
- Proven ability to build a welcoming, cohesive team culture based on mutual respect and a commitment to excellence.
- Demonstrated ability to build trust, confidence, and mentorship of a diverse range of staff and partners across race, religion, gender, and other identities.
- Training and experience in race equity/anti-racist frameworks; a general understanding of how power intersects with gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation and class in organizing and electoral settings.
- Experience working with underrepresented communities, particularly in electoral or political settings.
- Outstanding listening and problem-solving skills, a spirit of service, and a sense of humor.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills with strong attention to detail.
- Experience with independent campaign programs is a plus.
- Willingness to work campaign style hours and to travel as needed.
Structure and Location
This position reports to the Executive Director and is located in Washington, DC.
Salary range is $160,000 - $170,000 annually, commensurate with experience.
America Votes offers a competitive benefits package covering 100% of employee medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums, life insurance, long term disability coverage, a monthly cell phone stipend, personal professional development funds, parental leave, and 401 (K) after four months of continuous service with the organization.
America Votes provides a generous paid time off policy including paid vacation; paid sick leave and personal days; at least 10 Federal paid holidays including Juneteenth; and paid organizational time off from at least December 25 to January 1.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume online at https://grossmansolutions.com/jobs/. The cover letter should be concise, compelling, and outline the specific ways in which you would be a good fit for this position. America Votes sees its commitment to racial equity as an integral part of its success. Applicants are encouraged to reflect on how they see themselves contributing to America Votes' work on advancing racial equity.
America Votes is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. America Votes does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under local, state or federal law. People of color, LGBTQ candidates, individuals with disabilities, and neurodivergent individuals are strongly encouraged to apply