Action Network - Chief of Staff
Action Network is a mission-driven, nonprofit organization that provides cutting-edge technology to progressive campaigns and organizations, allowing them to mobilize, organize, and win on the issues that will build a more just and equitable world.
With a team of 30 passionate, talented staff, Action Network develops tools that are made for – and with – core partners that want to build broad support and foster deeper relationships with supporters.
Since launching in 2012, Action Network has grown from a tiny startup into a strategic force in the progressive movement. Action Network tools are used by tens of thousands of groups around the world, from local grassroots activists to movements like the Women’s March and Black Lives Matter to the largest campaigns and organizations like the Democratic National Committee and AFL-CIO. Action Network believes that the tools it builds are inextricably linked to how the organization builds them and is dedicated to a workplace that matches its core values.
Action Network is seeking a strategic leader and exceptional manager to serve as Chief of Staff, helping guide the organization at a time of growth and opportunity.
The Chief of Staff will serve as a trusted advisor and thought partner to the President/Executive Director in driving and executing the strategic vision of Action Network. The Chief of Staff will lead the organization’s strategic planning and manage day-to-day organizational responsibilities, including management of the senior leadership team.
The Chief of Staff will help Action Network create an organization that is as innovative and effective in its internal systems as its tools have been for the movement. The Chief of Staff will help the organization achieve its ambitious goals by building internal systems, processes, and infrastructure to ensure organizational alignment and foster cross-team collaboration and communications.
The Chief of Staff will ensure Action Network’s core values are reflected in its culture, policies, and practices. This role will foster a healthy, inclusive work environment and drive the effective implementation of DEI and other strategic initiatives throughout the organization. The Chief of Staff will be responsible for creating a workplace where all staff are able to contribute meaningfully to the organization’s success and further their own professional growth.
The ideal candidate is a thoughtful, strategic leader with a proven record of managing high-performing teams while fostering a collaborative, values-based culture in a dynamic environment.
This is an incredible opportunity to play a key leadership role in a growing organization that supports some of the progressive movement’s most important organizations and campaigns.
Strategic Planning and Oversight
- Act as a strategic partner to the President/Executive Director, helping execute the strategic vision of Action Network and driving effective, timely decision making
- Facilitate and lead strategic planning processes with the senior leadership team, closely collaborating with the team to develop plans and implement tactics
- Manage day-to-day organizational responsibilities and track the progress of strategic goals
Staff Management & Human Resources
- Serve as direct supervisor to senior leadership team members (currently five directors), ensuring directors have the support, clarity, and resources needed to meet strategic objectives and successfully manage their teams
- Build internal organizational cohesion and alignment by implementing systems, processes, and tools that enhance communication, collaboration, and knowledge sharing among teams
- Oversee human resources, including standardizing and implementing recruitment and hiring processes, onboarding and offboarding protocols, benefits programs, and performance management practices and tools
- Oversee and support staff growth and professional development opportunities
- Foster a healthy, diverse, inclusive culture that reflects the Action Network’s core values
- Champion and drive the integration and implementation of a DEI initiative and other strategic initiatives throughout the organization
Key Attributes & Qualifications
Action Network recognizes that candidates could bring a wide variety of experiences to the role. Candidates do not need to bring technology expertise but should possess a solid understanding of how campaigns and organizations utilize technology for organizing and movement building.
The organization seeks candidates with a passion for and commitment to Action Network’s mission and a track record of organizational leadership who ideally bring many of the following qualifications and attributes to the role:
- At least ten years of progressively responsible work experience, including significant experience managing senior teams
- Deep knowledge of the progressive movement
- Proven track record facilitating and leading strategic planning processes with leadership and senior staff
- Experience developing and implementing systems, policies, and tools to build internal organizational cohesion and alignment
- Experience overseeing human resources programs
- Demonstrated commitment to values-based leadership and a people-management style that is results-oriented, collaborative and fosters inclusivity and belonging
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills along with excellent judgment
- Superb written and verbal communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills
- Organized, reliable, flexible, and attentive to detail
- A self-starter who manages priorities effectively and meets deadlines
- Comfortable and adept in labor-management relations, particularly in collaborative settings
Location and Structure
Action Network is a remote workplace.
Compensation and Benefits
The compensation for this role is $200,000-$210,000, based on experience.
Action Network offers a competitive benefits package, including:
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision for you and your family
- Unlimited PTO
- Employer-matched 401(k)
- Technology allowance
- Health and wellness allowance
- Professional development benefits
To apply for this position, submit a cover letter and resume online at https://grossmansolutions.applytojob.com/apply. The cover letter should be concise and compelling and outline the specific ways in which you would be a good fit for this position. Only applications submitted through this website will be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Action Network is committed to cultivating a culture of inclusion and connectedness. Action Network is able to grow and learn better together with a diverse team of employees. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, innovation, self-expression, and talent that our employees invest in their work represents not only part of our culture but our reputation.
In recruiting for our team, Action Network welcomes the unique contributions that you can bring in terms of your education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and beliefs. People of color, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Action Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workplace.
To be eligible for this position, you must be legally authorized to work in the United States.