1199SEIU United Healthcare Workers East - Political Action Fund Director
Every day, the members of 1199SEIU United Healthcare Workers East save lives, deliver babies and care for the sick, seniors and people with disabilities. We are frontline caregivers in hospitals, nursing homes, homecare, clinics, pharmacies and all other areas of the healthcare industry. We are nurses, nurse aides, techs, lab workers, clerks, housekeepers, dietary workers, transporters, pharmacists, social workers and many other types of medical professionals.
With over 450,000 members throughout Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Florida, and Washington, DC, 1199 is the largest and fastest-growing healthcare union in the nation.
From our inception, 1199 has championed equality, justice and democracy. Written into the 1199SEIU Constitution are core values of economic and social justice and dignity and respect for everyone.
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. once called 1199 “the conscience of the labor movement,” and our union continues to mobilize against racial and economic injustice and fight for a world with equal opportunities for all.
Over the years 1199 has won some of the highest standards for healthcare workers in the country, including good wages and benefits, safe staffing, paid time off, secure retirement, model childcare and education benefits and a real voice work in the workplace.
1199 is a powerful force in national and state politics in our region. Using our significant financial resources as well as an army of politically engaged and active members and retirees, 1199 has been a leader in using its political program to secure better wages and benefits for members and their families, and helping to elect candidates who support workers, their families and communities.
We are affiliated with the Service Employees International Union, which has over 2 million members and is the largest labor union in North America.
1199SEIU is seeking an experienced, collaborative, and detail-oriented leader to serve as its Political Action Fund Director.
The Political Action Fund Director is responsible for managing 1199SEIU's Federal and New York State political action committees, including implementing strategies to grow the funds, overseeing operations and compliance, and managing internal budgeting, decision-making and approval processes.
Based in New York City, the Political Action Fund Director reports to the union’s Political Director and serves as the lead ambassador of the Political Action Committee (PAC) of the union internally. They will train and support union leadership and staff to further activate and maintain political action contributions across the five regions of the union.
This leader will development and lead PAC recruitment drives, including goal setting, building support infrastructure, and ensuring all divisions of the union have the tools needed for success.
The ideal candidate is a thoughtful, experienced leader with a deep belief in the power of union membership and collective action, a commitment to elect champions for working families and a desire to build political power for 1199SEIU members and their families across the country.
- Develop and manage annual political action fund budget.
- Oversee contribution requests submitted to the Executive Council for approval.
- Support staff and members in their efforts to grow the number and contribution level of PAC contributors, through training and focused campaigns.
- Monitor PAC cash flow, signups, revocations, and refunds, and implement strategies to troubleshoot and improve administrative processes.
- Oversee PAC compliance processes, working with internal Finance, MIS and Dues systems as well as external attorney and compliance firm.
- Support and embrace the mission of 1199SEIU and contribute to the overall success of the political program.
- At least five years of experience managing programs in a membership organization, preferably a labor union.
- Demonstrated familiarity with budgeting, cash flow monitoring and other administrative processes.
- Understanding of the role of political funds in the labor movement.
- Excellent judgment and effective and persuasive communication skills, both oral and written, and ability to work with staff at all levels of the union.
- Proficient using Microsoft 365 applications and integrated systems, especially Excel.
- Ability to work in a fast pace & high-pressured environment.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented with the ability to coordinate, prioritize and make effective decisions.
- All candidates should possess a commitment to worker power and value the mission, members, and programs at 1199SEIU.
- Experience in electoral political campaigns a plus.
Location and Compensation
The position is based in New York City. Some travel to and extended hours may be required.
Salary is approximately $120,000, commensurate with experience. 1199SEIU offers an excellent benefit package.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume at: https://grossmansolutions.applytojob.com. The cover letter should be concise, compelling, and outline the specific ways in which you would be a good fit for this position.
1199SEIU United Healthcare Workers East is an Equal Opportunity Employer.