Democratic Attorneys General Association (DAGA) - Director of Major Gifts
The Democratic Attorneys General Association (DAGA) is the only committee solely dedicated to electing and supporting Democratic state Attorneys General.
Democratic Attorneys General play a critical role in protecting civil rights, promoting progress and diversity, fighting corruption, and ensuring the law is applied fairly to all.
As a committee, DAGA provides political and policy support to Democratic AGs and candidates, building the platform to highlight their successes and to extend their reach as they work to serve as the People’s Lawyers.
Since its creation in 2002, DAGA has grown significantly. Today, DAGA is a record-breaking committee with a passionate team of over 40 staff. In the 2022 midterms, DAGA raised $25.5 million and flipped two key AG offices.
Democratic AGs currently hold 24 seats and represent the most diverse coalition of Democratic AGs in history.
Democratic AGs are among the most effective champions at keeping our communities safe, defending our rights, and holding bad actors accountable. From public safety and workers’ rights to climate action and election defense, Democratic AGs are front and center in the current political and policy landscape.
DAGA is seeking a strategic and thoughtful Director of Major Gifts to lead the development and implementation of an ambitious plan to significantly grow its major donor program.
The Director will grow, cultivate, and manage the organization’s major gifts program across its 527, 501(c)3 and 501(c)4 fundraising efforts to meet DAGA’s five-year strategic plan and ensure the organization has the critical resources for the 2024 and 2026 election cycles.
This role will be responsible for conceptualizing and executing a robust major gifts strategy focused on the stewardship of existing major donors - including labor unions, progressive groups, and private foundations - and the establishment of relationships with new donors.
This role will report to the Development Director and work closely with the committee’s executive leadership to leverage relationships and facilitate donor engagement opportunities.
The ideal candidate is an accomplished fundraiser who can build and cultivate relationships, develop systems and processes around donor stewardship, and bring a proven record of growing a major donor program.
This is an incredible opportunity to play a leadership role in an ambitious, growing organization that helps elect Democratic AGs who protect our fundamental rights and builds a pipeline of talented leaders for years to come.
- Build and cultivate a robust, results-oriented major gifts program that is effective at every stage in the donor cycle and supports the organization’s ambitious revenue goals
- Collaborate with the Development team to develop and implement a comprehensive, multi-year strategy for fundraising goals and plans for the 2024-2026 election cycles
- Cultivate and solicit existing and new major donors, progressive organizations, and private foundations
- Drive fundraising best practices, including systems utilization, prospecting, donor reporting, data review, and donor communications
- Evaluate and develop strategies to effectively drive and grow major donor giving
- Facilitate donor engagement opportunities with Attorneys General and DAGA staff leadership to establish and strengthen relationships
- Collaborate with key internal staff to promote the Women’s Initiative, a program focused on electing more women AGs, and develop engagement and networking opportunities for interested funders
- Represent DAGA at public meetings and events, raising the profile and visibility of DAGA and its priorities among funders, partners, and policymakers
- Develop and identify grant opportunities for the organization and oversee the comprehensive grant process in collaboration with key internal staff
- Collaborate with staff to provide compelling content for fundraising materials, including donor reports and grant proposals
- Manage ongoing prospect research to identify new funding sources
- Supervise the Development Manager and external fundraising consultants
Key Attributes & Qualifications
- 8+ years’ experience in political fundraising, including several years in a leadership role
- Demonstrated success in direct solicitation securing major gifts of 5-6 figures and growing and managing a robust fundraising portfolio
- Experience building strong relationships with donors and prospects; excellent listening skills, and an ability to engage with a diverse group of donors and prospects in a thoughtful manner
- A strong command of fundraising best practices; demonstrated success building processes and donor management systems to track and steward funders
- Superb interpersonal skills, with an impressive history of forging strong relationships with stakeholders
- Persuasive communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to successfully tailor messaging for different audiences
- Sound judgment, trustworthiness, and the ability to manage confidential information
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Experience writing grant proposals and managing activities and reporting preferred
- Experience working in development for a 501 c(3), 501 c(4) or 527 preferred
- Commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion, and the overall mission of DAGA
Structure and Location
Preference will be given to candidates in Washington, DC, and the surrounding area, but DAGA is open to the possibility of remote work for the right candidate. DAGA offices are in downtown DC with three days a week required in the office for staff in the DMV area and two days a week work from home. DAGA’s office is open 9 AM – 6 PM Eastern, but extended and nontraditional work hours are required. This full-time role requires a willingness and ability to travel as needed.
Compensation and Benefits
The compensation for this role is $140,000-$150,000 based on experience.
To apply for this position, submit a cover letter and resume online at https://grossmansolutions.applytojob.com/apply. The cover letter should be concise and compelling and outline the specific ways in which you would be a good fit for this position. Only applications submitted through this website will be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.